social media question

David Whelan davidpwhelan at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 11 14:57:22 EST 2013

I'm not sure any of this qualifies as a "library technique" but I think you
could use some of the backup tools out there to make copies of your social
media content.  For example, I use Backupify, which will create copies of
your Facebook & Twitter accounts (
https://www.backupify.com/products/personal-apps-backup).  What I don't
know is how much it grabs for Facebook (just your stuff, other posts on
your Wall, etc.).  I am not a Facebook user but I know it's got an export
tool; I don't know how you use what you export though.

If they are willing to set up a regular process to go and proactively grab
content (backups would be scheduled), there are some easy to use tools.
 Twitter seems to have generated more tools than other sites.  I use
AllMyTweets (http://www.allmytweets.net/ ) but it has a limitation (3200)
so you need to grab the content every so often.  Visitmix's Archivist is a
downloadable tool ( http://visitmix.com/work/archivist-desktop/ ) that can
grab an archive as a downloadable spreadsheet.  The paid version is
necessary to grab everything (also a Web version:
http://www.tweetarchivist.com/ )  This site has some interesting links that
would apply to specific social media (
http://socialwebnerd.com/blog/20-tools-to-backup-your-social-media-content/).

I like Wilhelmina's suggestion of WinHTTrack.  If it's a Web site and you
don't have access to an export function (like in Wordpress sites), it can
be a great way to grab everything.  I've also used Blue Squirrel's products
(WebWhacker and Grab-a-Site:  http://www.bluesquirrel.com).

I guess it would be "library-ish" to create incremental backups or to
organize it for quick recovery; you'd also have issues about formats (and
whether images or style sheets or other elements would be usable after
archiving/downloading).  It may depend up on how long they want to keep the
information.

Good luck!  David.