Regarding: The-3-Click-Dilemma

McKiernan, Gerard [LIB] gerrymck at IASTATE.EDU
Tue Aug 27 20:37:36 EDT 2013

*** Spoiler Alert > Possible Duplicate Posting ***

Colleagues/

An e-mail sent to Brian Williams regarding his recent column in _The Chronicle of Higher Education_.

Your Thoughts ?

http://sensory-information-navigation.blogspot.com/2013/08/regarding-3-click-dilemma.html

/Gerry

Brian/

I much appreciate your latest Chronicle posting:

The-3-Click-Dilemma: are library databases nearing the tipping point of obsolescence?

[snip]

I am pleased that you (and others) are realizing the limitations of Linear Searching (as opposed to what I would characterize as True Navigation [:-)]).

As you may be aware, I've long been interested Sensory Information Navigation(SINs);

See my Morning Becomes Electric:Post-Modern Scholarly Information Access, Organization, and Navigation

[snip]

and

As the World (Wide Web) Turns: Resources at Iowa State

[snip]

I've been particularly interested in Information Visualization, among other SINs.

See my

The Big Picture(sm):Visual Browsing in Web and non-Web Databases

[snip[

Several years ago I wrote a review article on IV and e-Journals titled:

"New Age Navigation:Innovative Information Interfaces for Electronic Journals"

[snip]

IMHO > Certainly with increased bandwidth and processing speeds, are we not now on the verge of navigating Databases via Sensory Information Navigation as well ?

Note: I am aware of one effort (EBSCOHost )

Your Thoughts ?

Regards,

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan