Digital Library Cards

James Gilbert gilbert.j at WHITEHALLPL.ORG
Thu Apr 11 18:02:32 EDT 2013

Something to consider with driver's license numbers and computerized records
involves the State Laws.

Notification must be provided if the entity {library} reasonably believes
the system {ILS} was breached, if we have the following stored.

As the drivers' license numbers would be acting as library card numbers, it
would be linked to the patrons' name.

Under Pennsylvania law:

Pennsylvania Statutes

Title 73 - Trade and Commerce

Chapter 43 - Breach of Personal Information Notification Act

"Personal information."

(1) An individual's first name or first initial and last name in combination
with

and linked to any one or more of the following data elements when the data

elements are not encrypted or redacted:

(i) Social Security number.

(ii) Driver's license number or a State identification card number issued in

lieu of a driver's license.

(iii) Financial account number, credit or debit card number, in

combination with any required security code, access code or password that

would permit access to an individual's financial account.

James Gilbert, BS, MLIS

Systems Librarian

Whitehall Township Public Library

3700 Mechanicsville Road