Digital Library Cards

Thomas Edelblute TEdelblute at ANAHEIM.NET
Thu Apr 11 14:38:56 EDT 2013

So what kind of scanners did you get that can read a barcode off of a phone?

From: Web technologies in libraries [mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On Behalf Of Pat Rapp
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2013 6:56 AM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: Re: [WEB4LIB] Digital Library Cards

We have a growing number of patrons who use their phone instead of their card. You don't need a photo of your card. Just download a free app like CardStar or Keyring - available for Droid and iPhone.

The catch is that we had to get barcode scanners that would be able to read the barcode displayed on the screen. Because the screens are glass, our old scanners could not read them. The new scanners are pricier, but it's nice to be able to have the option of scanning a library card or a phone.