Auto-Login for PACs

Melanie Hogue mhogue at CHESTATEELIBRARY.ORG
Thu Apr 11 08:33:52 EDT 2013

I've had a little experience with all the software mentioned below plus SteadyState and have just a bit to add to this:

1. I actually haven't noticed a big difference in the 3 options - Centurion, SteadyState, or DeepFreeze. PC Reservation, if you need reservation software, will automate the reboot on logoff nicely. And one of the others, running in the background, will present a clean user profile with each reboot.
2. IT work is much more cumbersome when you have to securely circumvent the software for repairs, etc; so whatever you do should also keep that in mind.
3. These software, I suspect but do not know, do the registry edit for you; so autologin is kind of the same thing regardless of how you configure it. This decision can be based on how comfortable you are changing registry settings yourself.
4. If you are using Active Directory (AD) on your public computers, you may have to figure out how the other software will interact with the Group Policy applied to an AD profile. You would, I suspect but do not know, be editing the Group Policy in AD just once instead of changing anything on each computer.

Melanie A. Hogue, Systems Librarian
Chestatee Regional Library System
Dawsonville, Georgia
706-344-3690 Ext. 20

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Apr 2013 20:26:19 +0000
From:    "Riesner, Giles W." <GRIESNER at CCBCMD.EDU>
Subject: Re: Auto-Login for PACs

Alison Pruntel asked:

      We will be implementing Deep Freeze on our PACs in the coming months. We will be having the machines reboot in between sessions to ensure that the PCs are truly restored to a clean system. However, we are looking for a way to avoid having staff have to log the machines in each time/in between the sessions. Anyone have an auto-login process in place to address this? I am aware of the "control userpasswords2" utility, which is put in place before freezing the machine, but looking for some advice on how to best do this.

We've never really bothered much with auto-login, though it can be done easily enough in Windows relatively easily via a couple of entries in the registry or via group policies. Given my choice, I'd do the reg hack because it's much easier than dealing with the GPO's (Group Policy Objects) for a limited set of machines. Though it would have to be done at each individual PC, that can be done by batch files or pushes.

A number of the local public libraries around here use automated PC reservation systems and when using them you just have your patrons login instead (often with their library card  number), which can avoid this issue totally. Some of the systems will interconnect with your library system to authenticate against it (I think using the SIP protocol). I know that this can be done with III's Millennium (and probably Sierra) system.

Deep Freeze is great, but if you and your patrons are new to such systems it takes a little getting used to. We've used a number of these over the years (Fortress, Centurion Guard/Drive Shield and now Deep Freeze). They're great but patrons have to get used to saving their documents to a flash drive, their email or a cloud based service such as Google Drive, SkyDrive or Drop Box. Documents are GONE as soon as the PC is restarted (not logged off) or shut down.  A power  failure (even someone kicking a plug out) wipes them for good and always and there is NO retrieving it. When we moved up to Windows 7 on our Public PCs our students' names started appearing on the folder formerly shown as "My Documents" and they ASSUMED that meant it was being stored somewhere on the network - not so.  I put together a  one pager called "Where are my Files" that I can send if you want it.

Hope this helps.

Giles W. Riesner, Jr. | Lead Library Technician , Library Technology
The Community College of Baltimore County   | 800 South Rolling Road | Catonsville, MD 21228 USA
Phone:  1-443-840-2736 | Fax: 1-410-455-6436 | Email:  griesner at ccbcmd.edu CCBC. The incredible value of education.

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2013-04-10

------------------------------

> such as Google Drive, SkyDrive or Drop Box. Documents are GONE as soon
> as the PC is restarted (not logged off) or

Thawspace + Data Igloo.

http://www.faronics.com/assets/DF_RetainUserData.pdf

HTH,
David