voice recognition software

Hoyte, Daniel hoyte at CHAPMAN.EDU
Wed Apr 3 12:37:21 EDT 2013

If those machines are running XP with, IIORC at least Office 2007, you already have rudimentary voice recognition. It is based on the old Via Voice engine. (now owned by Dragon) If you are running Windows 7+, it is built into the operating system

Here are some of the issues:

1.       They need a decent mic.

2.       They work better in quiet environments

3.       They MUST  be trained for each speaker

I have used Via Voice based systems and set up and tested Dragon based systems. It seems that the recognition engine from Dragon  gives good results with less training than the Via Voice based systems.

Daniel Hoyte M.R.S.
Senior Library Systems Technician
Leatherby Libraries, Chapman University
714-532-7745
Skype: daniel.hoyte

- Come to the dark side...
      We have technology.

From: Web technologies in libraries [mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On Behalf Of Lynn Elliott
Sent: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 12:54 PM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: [WEB4LIB] voice recognition software

We are looking into the possibility of installing voice recognition software such Dragon Naturally Speaking on some of the public-use computers.
Does anyone have experience with this?

I looked in the web4lib archives and there is not much there...

Lynn Elliott, MLS
Head of Information Services
Northwest Regional Library System
lelliott at nwrls.lib.fl.us<mailto:lelliott at nwrls.lib.fl.us>
(850)522-2104

Please Note: Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2013-04-02

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2013-04-03