Help with Implications of Library's place in University DNS

LibSys LibSys at WALLAWALLA.EDU
Wed Sep 19 17:16:07 EDT 2012

Kent,

The least your Web Services can do to mitigate problems would be to provide a redirect from http://library.bethel.edu to http://www.bethel.edu/offices/library . Speaking as the former Webmaster of Walla Walla University, this is a simple matter. If your page structure doesn't change, then sub-pages should also be redirected seamlessly. If they do that, then you have little to nothing to worry about :-)

Sid Nash
Library Systems Manager
Walla Walla University

-----Original Message-----
From: Web technologies in libraries [mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On Behalf Of Thomas Dowling
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 2:06 PM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: Re: [WEB4LIB] Help with Implications of Library's place in University DNS

Ask them to define the benefit users will get out of this change.
You've got good tips here on possible harm or confusion the change will cause.  It sounds like they just want URLs to reflect some org chart, which is dimwitted. (And nearsighted: 18 months from now, some campus unit will move into or out of "offices" and URLs will change
again.)

You might want to arm yourself with some usage statistics to back up any argument that the library site is more of a destination, and requires greater visibility than say, parent services or the campus post office.  You might want to point to peer institutions that actually put the library on the university home page, too.

Thomas Dowling
dowlintp at wfu.edu

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 5:29 PM, Kent Gerber <kent-gerber at bethel.edu> wrote:
> Dear Web Librarians,
>
> Our Library is in the midst of a University-wide web redesign and
> during a meeting we heard that the Web Services group might be
> considering moving the library from it's library.bethel.edu domain to
> something more like www.bethel.edu/offices/library. Is this a cause for concern?
>
> My suspicion is that we might lose some functionality with this change
> but I wanted to consult your expertise before I get too riled up.
>
> Do any of you have experience with this kind of DNS shift and is there
> a significant technological or functional change that I should be
> aware of with this issue?  Our library does not have an internal Web
> Services group and we depend on the University's Web Services group
> for these kinds of issues.
>
> Any advice or experience is appreciated.
>
> Kent
>
> --
> Kent Gerber, MSLIS
> Digital Library Manager