Random & Casual Poll: What abt. Web Services Should You Know?

Hogue Melanie hogue_m at LIB.CHATTANOOGA.GOV
Tue Sep 11 11:46:05 EDT 2012

PHP, ASP.NET and Apache, XML, Javascript, HTML 5, CSS. In ASCENDING order of importance.

It is still possible to oversee web services without being an extensive coder; but you should be able to read code and have some understanding what it is doing. How fully you should learn these may depend on other preferences you might have. For example, do you prefer to wear several hats for variety or usability knowledge (public service and web admin)? Or do you prefer to work in a smaller library, library system, or town? You will need to be more proficient if you do not have possibly paraprofessional subordinates who can write code according to your directives.

Melanie Amy Hogue, Librarian I

Chattanooga Public Library, Chattanooga, Tennessee

hogue_m at lib.chattanooga.gov

423-855-2684

From: Web technologies in libraries [mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On Behalf Of Holmberg, Lisa
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 10:40 AM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: Re: [WEB4LIB] Random & Casual Poll: What abt. Web Services Should You Know?

Get their head around how any code works, pho, JavaScript, whatever... Once you understand one you can carry over the knowledge to any code.

Teach troubleshooting problems.

Teach evaluating resources / tools / services for the library

Teach innovation.

Teach instructing non IT staff

Sent from my iPad