Cloud-based ILS -- Thank you

Thomas Edelblute TEdelblute at ANAHEIM.NET
Thu Sep 6 12:11:09 EDT 2012

We did a cost analysis between keeping moving our services to the SirsiDynix cloud vs. purchasing a new SUN server to run our Horizon ILS system.  In our case the cloud solution was over $100,000 while the new server was only $25,000.  Now for a true cost analysis you would want to figure in my time managing the system and all related expenses.

On the other hand, USC moved to the cloud because it was less expensive for them to pay SirsiDynix to manage the system vs paying their campus IT for managing the system.

The bottom line is that each institution needs to look at their own cost benefit analysis for their systems and see what makes sense with them.

Thomas Edelblute
Public Access Systems Coordinator
Anaheim Public Lbirary

-----Original Message-----
From: Web technologies in libraries [mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On Behalf Of Cary Gordon
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2012 7:04 AM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: Re: [WEB4LIB] Cloud-based ILS -- Thank you

There is a school of thought which believes that the time to bury the local ILS server was a few days (okay, years) after it was born. I have yet to hear a really good reason tor the continued existence of local servers, beyond the continued employment of the folks - and a lot of them - who sell them and keep them running.

This is not to say that I am absolutely convinced that one ILS to rule them all is the best idea, either.

Thanks,

Cary

--
Cary Gordon
The Cherry Hill Company

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2012-09-06

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY TO WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED AND MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL, AND EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER APPLICABLE LAWS. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, forwarding, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail or telephone, and delete the original message immediately. Thank you.