Cloud-based ILS -- Thank you

Thomas Krichel krichel at OPENLIB.ORG
Wed Sep 5 23:18:40 EDT 2012

  Morgan A. Brynnan writes

> I ask because it is a huge step to discard the old ILS servers and put all
> our eggs in one vendor basket.

  It's what OCLC wants.

> I've never had the opportunity before to participate in choosing
> a new ILS or making a decision as big as this, and I'd hate to
> make a wrong decision for our library.

  Once they have you in their cloud, they have you by the short and
  curlies.

> Is it really time to bury the old local ILS
> server?

  It's time to build local knowledge, but use a remote server
  company where you can outsoure the basic server infrastructure.
  This is a competitive industry.

  Cheers,

  Thomas Krichel                    http://openlib.org/home/krichel
                                      http://authorprofile.org/pkr1