QR codes and accessibility

Jarvis, Hugh hjarvis at BUFFALO.EDU
Sat Sep 1 13:18:11 EDT 2012

Is the QR code the ONLY way to access critical information...?

Then agreed, we would need to provide a workaround or parallel way to use that information for all users, ADA-related or not (e.g. people who don't have a smart phone handy).  That could be a visible URL (probably a tinyurl) or a printout of the key information somewhere.

But if this is an extra feature, then not sure why you legally need to provide an 'identical' experience for everyone.

That's not the spirit of our own regulations.  Equivalent experience without too much extra effort for the client or the publisher is the way we read the regs.

Also don't forget that people with special needs have their own workarounds -- that's what you need to support.

I would find out what tools your audience is actually using. Talk to your campus accessibility office.

Cheers,

	Hugh Jarvis

-----Original Message-----
From: Deborah Stanley [mailto:dstanley at UGA.EDU]
Sent: Friday, August 31, 2012 4:18 PM
Subject: Re: QR codes and accessibility

Hi. Yes, I'm discovering more about this as I dig into it, and I can see there must be all kinds of problems. Interestingly, there is a new Android phone (or software you can download to your Android phone) called Georgie, which is for visually impaired users:
http://paritynews.com/hardware/item/52-georgie-smartphone-for-the-blind-visually-impaired
. It's from the UK. Looks like you can get it here too:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/16/georgie-app-offers-up-android-features-and-voice-guided-menus-visually-impaired/

Someone just told me that SIRI on the iPhone can read QR codes, btw.

Deborah

dstanley at uga.edu
Phone: (706) 542-0656