Omeka

Roy Tennant roytennant at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 31 21:51:55 EDT 2012

I use Omeka for a non-work site that I manage and I've found the lack
of a well-thought-out workflow for uploading and describing content to
be a real pain in the neck. To upload an item and describe it requires
clicking around into several different menus, inexplicably having to
set a metadata element in two separate locations, and other weirdness
that makes me think they spent little time documenting the optimum
uploading workflow before beginning to code.

Another pet peeve, which Karen Coyle alluded to, is the intransigent
nature of the metadata schema. They took Dublin Core whole-cloth (but
the simple version) and offered no way to remove elements that you
never use or to add ones that you would like to.

Also, as Michael Daul points out below, the templating model has
issues and the number of pre-cast template options that are offered
from the Omeka site are very few and seem to be all cut from the same
basic cloth. Therefore, to really make your site look different
requires some pretty heavy lifting.

Another annoyance is that there is no "login" link displayed, so you
have to hack the template to make it show up, which of course breaks
the next time you update the template.

In the end, the only reason I'm using it is that it's free, which is a
pretty poor reason for using just about anything. But at this point I
feel somewhat stuck with it, and I'm hoping the next version is a
serious upgrade.
Roy