Omeka

Michael Daul michael.daul at DUKE.EDU
Wed Oct 31 17:17:28 EDT 2012

Hi Christa – we use Omeka to manage our online exhibits at the library: http://library.duke.edu/exhibits/

In general I think Omeka works well. The system offers some powerful features to handle metadata with large collection of items, and makes ingesting those collections a very simple and straightforward process. It's also extensible and free / open source (and the developer community seems active, but not very large) so those are great pluses in my book. The documentation and user forums are also really good: http://omeka.org/forums/; http://omeka.org/codex/Documentation

However, I think a lot of the more basic 'CMS-y' features that Omeka offers could be better served via a different platform (wordpress, drupal, etc.). In particular, I've found the templating system to be overly complex from a developer perspective, and our end-users have tended to get confused when applying different layout options to exhibit pages from time to time. So unless your colleague specifically needs a system that specializes in dealing with large collections of items and their metadata, then I'd suggest that they check out something different. That being said, Omeka v2 is right around the corner, so perhaps it will address some of the problems I've had with it.

Just my two cents…

Thanks,

-Michael

+++

Michael Daul
Digital Projects Developer | Duke University Libraries
michael.daul at duke.edu
(919) 684-1710

From: "Christa E. Van Herreweghe" <Christa at UCPL.LIB.MO.US<mailto:Christa at UCPL.LIB.MO.US>>
Date: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:56 PM
To: Jennifer Copeland <WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU<mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU>>
Subject: [WEB4LIB] Omeka

Just wondering if anyone is using this and what you think of it. Acolleague isconsideringOmeka and asked me if I knew anything about it.  Since I don’t,Ithought it would be good to ask all the smartpeopleI know.

http://omeka.org

Omeka is a free, flexible, and open source web-publishing platform for the display of library, museum, archives, and scholarly collections and exhibitions.

Thanks,

Christa Van Herreweghe

Assistant Director/IT Librarian

University City Public Library