The Library in your Living Room

Hawk,Mickey hawkm at OCLC.ORG
Wed Oct 24 09:27:20 EDT 2012

Wondering if design for the TV shouldn't be more like design for mobile,
especially when using input devices like you mention (joystick, etc.)?
Not sure there is a good media query for that type of device.  Have to
look into that.

Mick

--

Mickey Hawk

Manager, Design

OCLC

hawkm at oclc.org

From: Web technologies in libraries [mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On
Behalf Of Michael Schofield
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 9:23 AM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: [WEB4LIB] The Library in your Living Room

I finally pulled down the latest Xbox 360 Update last night which is
packaged with Internet Explorer 9. Sure, there are a lot of internet
ready televisions, but only now when bundled with Kinect can you browse
the web with gestures and voice commands. To be honest, I really enjoyed
surfing from the couch. I could totally do that. Typing URIs with a
joystick and a button leaves a little to be desired, but generally I
thought the interface was pretty fun.

But the web with its textual links and packed screen doesn't feel right
when you're more than 24" away from your monitor. Input is clumsy - a
controller, a remote, sketchy voice commands, or big gestures with your
hands-so I kind of see the wisdom in the modular, Metro look of Windows
8, and I think that's where the web for big screens is going to go
(unless you're controlling it with your phone).

This has me thinking: what do you think the library will be like in your
living room?

Michael Schofield(@nova.edu) | Web Services Librarian | (954) 262-4536

Alvin Sherman Library, Research, and Information Technology Center

Hi! Hit me up any time, but I'd really appreciate it if you report
broken links, bugs, your meeting minutes, or request an awesome web app
over on the Library Web Services <http://staff.library.nova.edu/pm>
site.

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2012-10-24