The Library in your Living Room

Michael Schofield mschofield at NOVA.EDU
Wed Oct 24 09:22:37 EDT 2012

I finally pulled down the latest Xbox 360 Update last night which is
packaged with Internet Explorer 9. Sure, there are a lot of internet ready
televisions, but only now when bundled with Kinect can you browse the web
with gestures and voice commands. To be honest, I really enjoyed surfing
from the couch. I could totally do that. Typing URIs with a joystick and a
button leaves a little to be desired, but generally I thought the interface
was pretty fun.

But the web with its textual links and packed screen doesn't feel right when
you're more than 24" away from your monitor. Input is clumsy - a controller,
a remote, sketchy voice commands, or big gestures with your hands-so I kind
of see the wisdom in the modular, Metro look of Windows 8, and I think
that's where the web for big screens is going to go (unless you're
controlling it with your phone).

This has me thinking: what do you think the library will be like in your
living room?

Michael Schofield(@nova.edu) | Web Services Librarian | (954) 262-4536

Alvin Sherman Library, Research, and Information Technology Center

Hi! Hit me up any time, but I'd really appreciate it if you report broken
links, bugs, your meeting minutes, or request an awesome web app over on the
Library Web Services <http://staff.library.nova.edu/pm>  site.

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2012-10-24