Content Management System for web/intranet

Michael Schofield mschofield at NOVA.EDU
Mon Oct 15 02:23:02 EDT 2012

Disclaimer: I tapped this out on my phone, and while I tried to catch errors, I'm pretty sure the autocorrect shamed me :). Also, I am soapboxing for Wordpress below (in case you want to skip it :-/).

I get that Drupal is the going favorite in the community, and I can second/third the recommendations for expression engine (real cool), but Wordpress IMHO is the more robust and user-friendly option. The affordability of expression engine is no more a draw than the affordability--if you don't have a web person of your own--of having the largest design community of the web. If you have a designer on staff, its free. Themes--free and for sale (and again, that is if you aren't interested in developing your own)--are increasingly responsive, and for about $50 you can find a dozen mobile-first* responsive Wordpress themes (or you can use themble.com's Bones mobile-first starter theme if you have your own web person). Content and presentation are separated in all of the CMS's suggested to you already.

No other CMS has so much documentation or so many (free) tutorials, nor broader extensibility through plugins like buddy-press and simplePress for forums - oh, and wikis. Easy to rig, easy to pickup, and if you need to buy a theme or hire a developer it has the biggest marketplace and the most freelancers.

You can pretty painlessly set up a Wordpress network so you can host multiple websites on a single installation, so you could have a public facing site at www.library.org and an intranet at staff.library.org.

 We use a Wordpress for automating ticket tracking in systems, generating multiple email newsletters, and some regular departmental web pages so you can pretty much do what you want with it.

If you're rolling your own, it will take you a fraction of the time to learn than Drupal. The latter would be my second choice, but unless you already have a Drupal dev on hand, commitment to learning Drupal isn't even worth it anymore (that's probably sacrilegious ... ).

I really think expression engine is groovy, too. But I find that doing web stuff for libraries requires just a lot of jury-rigging for unusual library-only circumstances, and because of that I veer toward the tool that has the most written about it on the web and the most help on StackOverflow. For CMS's, that's Wordpress.

After all this late-night tapping I would like Wordpress to now cut me a check :-).

Michael

* Slide deck for future-friendly / mobile-first web design in libraries: www.ns4lib.com/talks/future-friendly

Sent from my iPhone