Academic Library Open Access Textbook (Re)Placement Projects ?

McKiernan, Gerard [LIB] gerrymck at IASTATE.EDU
Sun Oct 14 12:54:56 EDT 2012

 *** Spoiler Alert / Possible Duplicate Posting ***

Colleagues/

I am greatly interested in learning of any /all academic libraries that have or are considering projects in which librarians with collection development responsibility seek to identify Open Access digital textbooks as candidate replacements for print or non-Open Access digital textbooks.

One initiative of which I am aware is that at the University of Michigan libraries that is described in a presentation given by Maria Bonn, Associate University Librarian for Publishing, University of Michigan Library, titled "Responding to the Changing Textbook Terrain at the University of Michigan" which was given at  _The Future of e-Textbooks: A Symposium On The Influence Of e-Textbooks On Academic Life_ in mid-March 2011 at the university.

A link to a recording (~ 30 minutes) of her presentation can be found at her entry in my blog posting at

http://digital-textbooks.blogspot.com/2011/03/future-of-e-textbooks-symposium-on.html

The description of the university library's Open Textbook (re) placement scenarios is described beginning at  ~18:00 to 20:15; Also in Q&A at ~ 28:00

IMHO > I believe that the entire presentation is well worth your time.

BTW: Next week I will be giving a selected presentation on Open Access textbooks at the Internet Librarian 2012 conference in Monterey, CA on March 22.

The working presentation titled _ OATs: Open Access Digital Textbooks_ has been self-archived and is accessible via

[ http://digital-textbooks.blogspot.com/2012/10/oats-open-access-digital-textbooks-il.html ]

The presentation provides a listing of known OA textbook projects and catalogs as well as profiles of select initiatives.

Note: Throughout this week I will be adding two (or three) additional profiles.

If you are exploring the use of OA textbooks as (re)placements, please note as a comment on this blog post:

[ http://digital-textbooks.blogspot.com/2012/10/oats-open-access-digital-textbooks-il.html ]

as well as responding to the list(s).

Thanks for your assistance !

Regards,