FW: Long-Term Access To e-Books ?

Morgan A. Brynnan mbrynnan at GMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 13 14:57:25 EDT 2012

Hi Gerry,

Overdrive ( <http://www.overdrive.com/> www.overdrive.com/) also partners
with eBook vendors to preserve access should libraries choose not to host
their eBooks at the vendor site. When buying eBooks with perpetual access,
this is a basic service. Personally, I would not purchase perpetual license
books from a vendor without a guarantee of access.

Morgan Brynnan

Butte College Library

From: McKiernan, Gerard [LIB] [mailto:gerrymck at IASTATE.EDU]
Sent: Friday, October 12, 2012 6:11 PM
Subject: Long-Term Access To e-Books ?

*** Spoiler Alert > Possible Duplicate Posting ***

Colleagues/

During a recent visit from a rep from Taylor & Francis, I asked about
long-term access to its e-book collection ; He was not aware of any effort

I have since searched and learned that Portico not only 'preserves'
e-journal collections but also e-books >

"Portico is committed to the preservation of digital publications such as
e-journals, e-books, and other digital content."

http://www.portico.org/digital-preservation/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Porti
co-Lib-Brochure-PDF.pdf

The LOCKSS project seems to be focused on e-journals [?]

http://www.lockss.org/

I'll investigate further ...

As is CLOCKKS  [?]

http://www.clockss.org/clockss/Home

I continue to investigate ....

Are there any other e-book long-term access projects ?

Thanks !

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan

Associate Professor