URL redirecter for library databases

Wilhelmina Randtke randtke at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 10 14:53:34 EDT 2012

PURLs can be very simple, and don't require almost any backend.  If you
have access to some webhosting, so even a simple library webpage where your
file extensions are html , then you can make a separate html file for each
database, then have that html file redirect to where you want it to go.

So, I might make a folder on the website called "libpurls" then inside it
make a file called "jstor.html" and that file would read:

<head>
http://mylibrarysproxy.idm.oclc.org/login?url=http://www.jstor.org">
</head>
This page should redirect you to <a href="
http://mylibrarysproxy.idm.oclc.org/login?url=http://www.jstor.org">JSTOR.
If you were not redirected, then please click here to go to JSTOR.</a>

Then make an incoming link to
www.yourlibrarywebsite.com/libpurls/jstor.html and
someone who visits that will be automatically redirected to JSTOR with a
working proxy added on the front.  You can make a back up of your PURLs by
clicking and dragging the "libpurls" folder.

You will also have to keep a current list of your PURLs in
www.yourlibrarywebsite.com/libpurl and make sure librarians are right
clicking to cut-and-paste your PURL, instead of the destination it
redirects to.

Awareness across library staff is the hardest thing to get working.  Put
your central list as front and center as you can, and make it easy
for librarians to work with.  Once you have a system of PURLs, do not
change the way it works for librarians trying to use it.  So, commit before
you launch the PURLs and give really consistent instructions.

The advantage of doing the PURLs in LibGuides is that the librarians who
use it most tend to be from many different backgrounds, and not just a
technology background.  So, it can help in getting the PURLs to the people
who need them most.   LibGuides also lets librarians reuse/copy the link
from another guide, so they don't have to remember to right click the link,
then copy the PURL, then paste the PURL.  The disadvantage of doing PURLs
exclusively in LibGuides, is that it is difficult to make a meaningful
systemwide backup, so it's a really good idea to keep a master list of
working database links.

-Wilhelmina Randtke

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 12:06 PM, Coral Sheldon-Hess <coral at sheldon-hess.org