public workstations question

Joel Marchesoni jmarch at EMAIL.WCU.EDU
Fri Nov 30 09:16:56 EST 2012

I'm assuming you have DeepFreeze or something like it. We use DeepFreeze here and have a message on the desktop background about saving on a flash drive. However, we also have a thaw space set up in DeepFreeze that creates a separate drive (T: in our case) that doesn't get erased when the machine reboots. We still had a lot of problems with patrons losing work in Word so we moved the Office autosave locations to the thaw space as hidden folders. That way if the machine crashes Office will recover their document when it comes back up. I attached a screenshot of the setting to change in Word. You get to the screen by going to File->Options.

Joel Marchesoni
Tech Support Analyst
Hunter Library, Western Carolina University
http://library.wcu.edu/
828-227-2860

.Christmas {background: #fff; color: #fff}

~Please consider the environment before printing this email~

From: Web technologies in libraries [mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On Behalf Of Angela Boyd
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2012 16:45
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: [WEB4LIB] public workstations question

Hello everyone out there!

I'm just curious as to how you all handle public workstations.  Do your students ever lose their work because the workstation they were working on crashed and had to be rebooted?  What do you do to make sure most students don't lose their work when something like that happens?

Thanks!  Angela

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2012-11-29

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/