public workstations question

Munson, Doris dmunson at EWU.EDU
Thu Nov 29 17:31:50 EST 2012

We tell our students to save their work often to a USB drive or their network storage drive, which they can log into from any of our computers. Students know that they should not save documents to our computers because all student-use computers in the library (and all the campus computer labs) have DeepFreeze on them.

Each student computer also has a small UPS on it. This gives students around 10 minutes to save their work in the case of a power outage.

Regards,
Doris

Doris Munson
Systems/Reference Librarian
Eastern Washington University
dmunson at ewu.edu
509-359-6395

From: Web technologies in libraries [mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On Behalf Of Angela Boyd
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2012 1:45 PM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: [WEB4LIB] public workstations question

Hello everyone out there!

I'm just curious as to how you all handle public workstations.  Do your students ever lose their work because the workstation they were working on crashed and had to be rebooted?  What do you do to make sure most students don't lose their work when something like that happens?

Thanks!  Angela

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2012-11-29