Evanced Hosting

Stacy Pober stacy.pober at MANHATTAN.EDU
Tue Nov 27 17:12:13 EST 2012

> We agree that hosting has been unreliable and we are in the process of
> migrating all customers to Amazon servers which are far more stable.

Evanced's hosting is less reliable than Amazon's?  That's a scary thought.

Our OPAC vendor uses Amazon hosting and we've had outages and periods with
slow response time.  Google 'Amazon outage' or 'Amazon cloud problems' for
a peek at the issues they've had in the past.

We use UReserve for our room reservations. It's a one-time purchase that's
very inexpensive and it's hosted on a Linux server.  It may not have all
the bells and whistles that you want, but it's very inexpensive and it's as
reliable as the server you have it on.  FMI: http://www.uburst.com/uReserve/

We run our own server, but if you're looking for hosting, I'd like to put
in a good word for Pair.com, which I've used for other ventures outside the
library.  They are very reliable and their tech support and customer
service is outstanding.

--
Stacy Pober
Information Alchemist