library 404 pages

Robert Sullivan robert.g.sullivan at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 8 16:13:52 EST 2012

> Do y'all find that patrons really do report errors? And do they understand
> what causes broken links enough to accurately report what happened?

They don't have to understand - *we* as site managers have to
understand.  URLs are forever, a large fraction of your users come in
through search engines, and if you don't want frustrated users you
have to make sure anything which is changed is redirected to the
appropriate new page, or at a minimum a 404 page with a search box.

Speaking for myself as a frustrated user,

--
Bob Sullivan
Schenectady Digital History Archive