input sought re: web analytics products practices in libraries

Nina Mchale milehighbrarian at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 17 13:27:30 EDT 2012

Greetings, all!

Tabatha Farney (University of Colorado Colorado Springs) and I are putting
the finishing touches on our LITA Guide about web analytics, and we'd like
to include two appendices: 1. a list of suggested free tools for analytics
use in libraries; and 2. a list of commonly used library products (CMSs,
catalogs, calendaring tools) to which one can quickly and easily add
third-party analytics capabilities. We'd like to get broad feedback on both
of these items. Please respond directly to me and Tabatha (who's cc'ed),
and if there's interest, I'll share with the list.

1. So, first question: *What products would you include in an appendix that
lists free analytics tools for libraries? *These are the products that we
are considering, and several of them are mentioned throughout the course of
the manuscript:

Google Analytics
Yahoo! Analytics
Piwik
Crazy Egg
AWStats
Percent Mobile
ClickTale
FaceBook Insights
Bango
StatCounter
Webalizer
FireStats
FeedBurner

What's missing from this list? Are there any other tools out there that
you'd recommend for use in library environments? They can be very specific
(i.e., FaceBook Insights).

2. Second question: *To what library products have you added third-party
(i.e., Google Analytics) analytics capabilities, and how, in a paragraph or
less, did you add them?* This is what we have/know how to include:

CMSs: Drupal, WordPress, Omeka, LibGuides
Catalogs: III
Other: Evanced

If you've integrated Google Analytics (or another third-party tool) into
SirsiDynix products or discovery tools, we'd be very interested in hearing
from you.

For this second appendix, we are NOT looking for a step-by-step install
process (which would be difficult to make accurate for a large audience and
also date rapidly), just a high-level description of the best way to
integrate tracking code or install the tool. Example for Drupal: "Create a
Google Analytics account (if you don't already have one). Then, install the
Drupal Google Analytics module (LINK) on your Drupal site(s). Finally,
configure the module by adding your Google Analytics account number. The
module will then insert the tracking code for you in your web pages."

--
Nina & Tabatha

Nina McHale, MA/MSLS
Arapahoe Library District