Question about UIMA

Dan Londono dl07g at FSU.EDU
Thu May 10 14:04:24 EDT 2012

Hi Wilhelmina,

I tried experimenting with UIMA for a week or so, and didn't get very far.
I got stuck 2/3rds of the way through the Maven install instructions.

I would say the difficulty level for implementation is fairly high,
especially for those without a strong working knowledge of java (I have yet
to learn Java..).

I did report to my higher ups at work that it seemed like an impressive
framework that could be extended in many ways.  My use case was to use the
OpenCalais and AlchemyAPI annotation services to improve the usability of a
corpus of online archival materials without metadata or with variable
metadata formats and quality...and possibly use the SOLR CAS Consumer to
generate output.

You probably already know this, but UIMA (along with Hadoop) were the
technologies used in the Watson Supercomputer (
https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/entry/apache_innovation_bolsters_ibm_s),
so it's definitely a project to keep an eye on in my opinion.  They even
have an Apache Hadoop framework called Behemoth (
https://github.com/jnioche/behemoth) to enable large scale UIMA deployments.

One of the few projects I've seen recently that make use of UIMA is in the
field of Biomedical Research...: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22541592
.

Sorry I couldn't directly answer your questions, but I hope the information
is helpful.  I'm also interested in seeing how the library community can
make use of the technology.

Kind Regards,
Daniel Londono

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 6:10 PM, Wilhelmina Randtke <randtke at gmail.com>wrote:

> Has anyone out there used Apache's UIMA (Unstructured Information
> Management applications) to index documents or in any other way?
>
> What I am interested in is knowing whether any libraries are using this,
> and how they are using it.  Seeing any example projects would be great.  I
> also want to know how difficult it was to implement, and get a feel for the
> quality of the metadata produced.
>
> -Wilhelmina Randtke
>
> Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/
>
> 2012-05-09