PDF usability and best practices?

Hogue Melanie hogue_m at LIB.CHATTANOOGA.GOV
Fri Mar 16 08:19:49 EDT 2012

Looks like you need more specific information than this comment; but for
what its worth:

For documents viewed in a browser, almost all those scanned from paper
end up being too large. I find a couple of MB to be the absolute limit;
something under 1MB is best. If you are using a media download manager
of some sort and you have time to walk away and read later, like you
would many devices, the limit can be MUCH higher.

Melanie Amy Hogue, Manager of Online Resources

Chattanooga Public Library, Chattanooga, Tennessee

hogue_m at lib.chattanooga.gov

423-757-5114

From: Web technologies in libraries [mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On
Behalf Of Wilhelmina Randtke
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2012 11:02 PM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: [WEB4LIB] PDF usability and best practices?

I am looking for recommendations or guidelines on best practices for
displaying PDFs on the internet.

What I don't want:  I am not looking for ADA compliance.  I am able to
find that.

What I do want:  I am looking for anything about ability to access the
document - so:
  -  How large a file size is acceptable?  (I anticipate U.S. visitors
to the project this is for.)
  -  How long in pages a document can be before it becomes overwhelming
to a reader?
  -  Any size constraints imposed by different PDF viewing devices and
connection speeds?
  -  Ways to represent a really long document - like a novel - and
represent it in meaningful ways in PDF format, without doing a single
giant PDF (and without becoming married to technology other than PDF-A
and html)?

Any pointers to guidelines or best practices on displaying voluminous
PDFs would be appreciated.

-Wilhelmina Randtke

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2012-03-15