PDF usability and best practices?

Wilhelmina Randtke randtke at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 15 23:02:16 EDT 2012

I am looking for recommendations or guidelines on best practices for
displaying PDFs on the internet.

What I don't want:  I am not looking for ADA compliance.  I am able to find
that.

What I do want:  I am looking for anything about ability to access the
document - so:
  -  How large a file size is acceptable?  (I anticipate U.S. visitors to
the project this is for.)
  -  How long in pages a document can be before it becomes overwhelming to
a reader?
  -  Any size constraints imposed by different PDF viewing devices and
connection speeds?
  -  Ways to represent a really long document - like a novel - and
represent it in meaningful ways in PDF format, without doing a single giant
PDF (and without becoming married to technology other than PDF-A and html)?

Any pointers to guidelines or best practices on displaying voluminous PDFs
would be appreciated.

-Wilhelmina Randtke

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2012-03-15