Endnote as a library catalog

Nathalie Blanchard nathalie.blanchard at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 20 12:52:05 EDT 2012

You might want to consider the following as well:

*Zotero*

*http://www.zotero.org/<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.zotero.org%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNEF_XuKa8nlo-t0ryWSAEfSjt8dfw>
*

- Free citation management software

- You can share bibliographies with a group of people. You can set it up so
that only some people are allowed to edit the bibliographies.

- Potential problem: Currently works only with the Firefox browser (version
3.0). They are working on a version that works with other/all browsers, but
they haven’t announced a release date.

*Mendeley*

*http://www.mendeley.com/<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mendeley.com%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHmlPJw3mUUIrbUMHuE--dTWThOgw>
*

- Free citation management software

- You can share a collection with up to 10 people (they also have to have
Mendeley installed)

- It works on Windows and Mac

*LibraryThing*

*http://www.librarything.com/<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.librarything.com%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNFG_sQOY8XMXcxR5qpCojX3vyRw-g>
*

- LibraryThing allows you to create an online catalog of your library.

- Only free for up to 200 books. $25 one-time fee for up to 5000 books.

- Potential problem: The library is public (i.e. everyone can see them)

*Goodreads*

http://www.goodreads.com/

- Free website

- Mission: “Goodreads' mission is to help people find and share books they
love. Along the way, we plan to improve the process of reading and learning
throughout the world.”

- Potential problem: The library is public (i.e. everyone can see them)

*Google Books*

*http://books.google.ca/*

- Free website

- Potential problem: The library is public (i.e. everyone can see them)

- Strength: Access to titles that might otherwise be not available elsewhere

*Koha*

http://www.koha.org/

- Open source (free)

- To view Neil Macdonald’s review of it:
http://neil-macdonald.com/IAblog/?p=33

- Potential problem: The library is public (i.e. everyone can see them)

*Evergreen*

http://open-ils.org/

- Open source (free)

--