scanning campus newspaper / permissions

Ken Irwin kirwin at WITTENBERG.EDU
Wed Jul 11 11:04:30 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I work at a university library, and we're investigating the possibility of scanning the entire run of our student newspaper (outsourcing the job, not doing it ourselves).

For those of you who have done similar projects, I would be interested in know how you determined the legality of doing so. With thousands of authors over the last century, none of whom signed contracts, license agreements, etc of any sort, I wonder how universities decide how copyright plays into all of this.

I am, of course, not looking for legal advice - I'm just wondering what sorts of issues you considered, who you talked to on campus, etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Ken > PS - I think there was a web4lib discussion of some of this many years ago, but it appears the archives only go back to 2011 - what happened there? I must be out of the loop...

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2012-07-11