Locking down public computers

Carol Hassler Carol.Hassler at WICOURTS.GOV
Fri Jan 13 10:30:04 EST 2012

Hello,

I didn't see much discussion of this in the archives. If I missed the
answer to my question, please let me know! I've been reading the
"Locking down IE" thread with great interest...

Our IT department is considering trying to replace our old
SteadyState/XP public computer security with just a Windows 7 software
solution. So they're planning on moving to Windows 7, but they are
looking to roll their own solution using the OS and avoid using a third
party product like DeepFreeze.

Has anyone locked down their public computers using only Windows 7 -
like using the Systems Restore function for example? If not, what are
you using?

We have a number of needs including saving browser passwords for one of
our online databases, providing multiple browsers, and providing access
to file-based and online databases. We also want to wipe any extra files
users may have placed on the computers upon logout and prevent too much
tampering with the installed programs or computer settings. It would
also be nice to be able to somewhat easily manage software updates.

We've found this somewhat recent Techsoup article on "Securing public
access computers: some alternatives to SteadyState" http://goo.gl/1xyOD

We don't have many computers, but our IT staff are off-site, so we are
looking for as robust a solution as we can find. And if you think the
best solution is a particular product, please feel free to respond with
suggestions.

Thanks, everyone!

Carol Hassler
Webmaster / Cataloger