Off-Topic? Microsoft's New "Avoid Ghetto" App

Norma Jean Hewlett hewlett at USFCA.EDU
Tue Jan 10 19:07:16 EST 2012

I'm afraid this is kind of off topic for Web4Lib. It concerns Internet
technology, but I don't see any direct relevance to libraries. Except
perhaps for libraries in one of the areas that are flagged as
"ghetto."

I'm totally shocked by the "avoid ghetto" description, but quite okay
with the concept. I've walked and driven through a number of areas
where I really wished I'd had advance warning about what to expect or
avoid.

My daughter and I were talking about this yesterday. She pointed out
that even though she dislikes this use of "ghetto" to mean "unsafe,"
she had used it recently when describing an area to friends. We also
wondered whether the neighborhood we live in - a quiet family
neighborhood on the edge of a rather bad one - might be included in
the "avoid ghetto" recommendations.

Jean Hewlett
Librarian, Santa Rosa Campus
University of San Francisco