Apache alias

Stefan Kuss skuss at HUNTER.CUNY.EDU
Tue Jan 10 12:07:41 EST 2012

Hi,

Instead of using a symlink to redirect to the directory you could create an alias in you apache configuration: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.1/mod/mod_alias.html#alias

Stefan Kuss
Systems Manager
Hunter College Libraries

-----Original Message-----
From: Web technologies in libraries [mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On Behalf Of Junior Tidal
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 11:52 AM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: [WEB4LIB] Apache alias

Hi all,

I was wondering if this is possible: I have a directory that lives outside of the web root directory. However, I have made a symbolic link to that directory within the web root. I tried accessing this page through the browser, but it comes up as a 403 error.

Do I have to edit httpd.conf to give permission for that directory? I have chmod'ed the directory so it is part of the apache group.

Much thanks,

Junior Tidal
Assistant Professor
Web Services and Multimedia Librarian
New York City College of Technology, CUNY
300 Jay Street, Rm A434
Brooklyn, NY 11201
718.260.5481

http://library.citytech.cuny.edu