WIKI software

Mutch, Andrew AMutch at TWP.WATERFORD.MI.US
Tue Jan 3 13:21:04 EST 2012

I would second this. We use MediaWiki for our Intranet for about 30 part
and full-time employees. Even with extensions to use FCKEditor for
editing pages and an RSS feed extension to import content from our staff
blog, I've never felt that it's been a very user-friendly solution for
our staff. They've gotten used to using it and some parts of the Wiki
get updated regularly. But in hindsight, I would have gone the route of
a CMS like WordPress.

I think when I looked at WP at the time, it didn't feel like it could do
everything I needed it to do. But the current version of WP is more than
sufficient to do at least 95% of what we do with MediaWiki and it would
save me the trouble of having to train and maintain on two different
platforms (Wiki + Blog). While MediaWiki isn't that difficult to
maintain, again, WP far easier to maintain in comparison. There may be
other Wiki solutions that are more end-user friendly than MediaWiki but
for a small library with a small staff (or even larger libraries), I
would have to hear reasons why a Wiki is a "must have" before I would go
that route again.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library