Music Discovery Requirements document

Nara Newcomer newcomern at ECU.EDU
Tue Feb 21 20:06:28 EST 2012

The Music Library Association's Emerging Technologies and Services Committee
invites your comments on the second draft of our "Music Discovery
Requirements" document.  This paper & appendixes explore and detail the
specialized needs of music materials for discovery interfaces of all kinds.
 An initial draft of this document was shared via MLA-L (a distribution list
for music librarians and those interested in music librarianship) in fall
2011.  We have now completed a second draft, which we are publicizing more
broadly.

We invite your comments, thoughts, and suggestions by March 16, 2012.

The document is available at http://musicdiscoveryrequirements.blogspot.com
or via the links below.  You may add your comments using the blog's
commenting feature, or send them directly to Nara Newcomer,
newcomern at ecu.edu<mailto:newcomern at ecu.edu>

Music Discovery Requirements Main Document:
http://personal.ecu.edu/newcomern/musicdiscoveryrequirementsfeb92012.pdf

Appendix A. Compiled Details of Indexing and Display Requirements -
Index-Focused Version [Excel spreadsheet]
http://personal.ecu.edu/newcomern/musicdiscoveryrequirementsfeb92012appendixa.xls

Appendix B. Compiled Details of Indexing and Display Requirements -
Tag-Focused Version [Excel spreadsheet]
http://personal.ecu.edu/newcomern/musicdiscoveryrequirementsfeb92012appendixb.xls

Appendix C. MARC Bibliographic Record Mapping for Content and Carrier [Excel
spreadsheet]
http://personal.ecu.edu/newcomern/musicdiscoveryrequirementsfeb92012appendixc.xls

-Nara

On behalf of the Music Discovery Requirements Document group:
Nara Newcomer (leader), East Carolina University
Rebecca Belford, University at Buffalo
Deb Kulczak, University of Arkansas
Jennifer Matthews, University of Notre Dame
Misti Shaw, Depauw University
Kimmy Szeto, SUNY Maritime College

Nara Newcomer
Assistant Music Librarian