job posting: UM Lib Special Projects Librarian

Wilkin, John jpwilkin at UMICH.EDU
Thu Feb 9 14:14:01 EST 2012

I periodically hire a Special Projects Librarian for a 2- to 3-year term to engage in a wide array of activities across the U-M library and am hiring once again.  The short version of the job posting is below, and the full version is on our library's website at http://bit.ly/w4gf7w.  This is a great opportunity for a recent graduate or someone new to the profession.  Especially important to me are communication and project management skills, and we typically have a major focal area, in this case the library's Omeka implementation.  I'm glad to answer questions about the job.
John Wilkin (jpwilkin at umich.edu<mailto:jpwilkin at umich.edu>)

The University of Michigan Library seeks a Special Projects Librarian to assist the Associate University Librarian for LibraryInformation Technology (AUL for LIT) in the coordination of major digital initiatives within the University Library.  The Special Projects Librarian works with the AUL for LIT, as well as with key staff, in the delivery and management of digital library content and services, and will assist in the research and development of new library technologies.  The Special Projects Librarian will assist in conducting the work of the LIT division.  A significant component of this position includes coordination of activities such as digitization, which touch on a variety of LIT units. A high degree of coordination with staff within the Library is required. The Special Projects Librarian coordinates tasks, performs outreach and communication (particularly to other project staff), tracks the progress of projects, and performs a variety of duties as assigned, such asdocumentation.  A specific area of focus currently includes coordinating our implementation ofOmeka for the creation and presentation of online exhibits.  This may constitute as much as 30% of the Special Project Librarian’s work in the first two years of the appointment and will include overseeing the development and documentation of policies, procedures, and workflows to guide, support, and inform the online exhibit creation process.  Review of applications for this three-year, term appointment begins 3/8/12. Full posting is at www.lib.umich.edu/library-human-resources/special-projects-librarian-library-information-technology<http://www.lib.umich.edu/library-human-resources/special-projects-librarian-library-information-technology>  The University of Michigan is a non-discriminatory, affirmative action employer.

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2012-02-09