bandwidth shaping/control

Riesner, Giles W. GRIESNER at CCBCMD.EDU
Thu Feb 9 11:03:38 EST 2012

What Melanie was suggesting is not really packet shaping - just setting up different classes of PCs
for different uses -- we've been down that road a number of years back and now all of our PCs do anything.

The College, however, does use a packet shaper (we used to use one from Packeteer, which has since been bough out by Blue Coat).  I'm not certain what we're using now, as that's handled by IT's networking group, not the Library.  We DID however give them a list of domain names for our databases that we wanted to have higher priority.

They do have video streaming access everywhere, but the priorities differ depending on where you are. They
redesigned the college network to allow it more readily from classrooms (we have all smart classrooms with
a PC for the instructor) and less so for public PCs.

Giles W. Riesner, Jr. | Lead Library Technician , Library Technology/Library System Administrator
The Community College of Baltimore County   | 800 South Rolling Road | Catonsville, MD 21228 USA
Phone:  1-443-840-2736 | Fax: 1-410-455-6436 | Email:  griesner at ccbcmd.edu
CCBC. The incredible value of education.

________________________________

From: Web technologies in libraries on behalf of Ed Erjavek
Sent: Wed 2/8/2012 6:28 PM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: [WEB4LIB] bandwidth shaping/control

Does anyone have a hardware device or service they would recommend to shape or control bandwidth especially for video streaming so that heavy video users can't use up the majority of the library's bandwidth?

Thanks, Ed

Ed Erjavek

Library Information Technology Manager

San Bernardino Public Library

555 W. Sixth St.,

San Bernardino, CA. 92410

erjavek.ed at sbpl.org

(P) 909-381-8216

(F) 909-888-3171

www.sbpl.org

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2012-02-08

Giles W. Riesner, Jr.
Lead Library Technician, Library Technology
Community College of Baltimore County
Catonsville Campus Library
email: griesner at ccbcmd.edu <mailto:griesner at ccbcmd.edu>   phone: 1-443-840-2736