Low-Cost Prototype OPAC System

Christian Pietsch chr.pietsch+web4lib at GOOGLEMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 18 15:01:34 EST 2012

John,

this is so cool, especially considering that the costly Kiosk PCs my
home town's public library has just acquired do not offer more than
your extremely cheap solution: they run a web browser.

In contrast to your solution, this public library (like so many) has
wasted money ...
- on many licenses for Microsoft's Windows operating systems
- on licenses for proprietary software to keep Windows in check
- to buy the powerful computers required to run Windows
- and harmed the environment because of the hight energy consumption
  of these computers.

Congratulations for avoiding these pitfalls!

My own academic library offers Linux-based PCs as OPAC terminals which
by and large avoid these pitfalls as well, although I do hope they
will eventually be replaced with more energy-efficient hardware such
as the options you mentioned.

Cheers
Christian

--
  Christian Pietsch <http://purl.org/net/pietsch>
  LibTec (Library Technology and Knowledge Management),