SOBA: How are MOOCs Changing Science Education? > December 10 2012 > 4PM - 5:30 PM ET

Steven E. Patamia, Ph.D. patamia at GMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 4 17:36:15 EST 2012

Short and to the point answer to Alan's question -- admittedly biased by
particular interests of my own in establishing virtual research library
resources:

To the extent that coursework encourages or requires library resources, in
the MOOC environment that cannot be a fair expectation unless there exists
well-stocked virtual research libraries appropriate to the course.
 Otherwise, those with established handy access -- virtual or otherwise --
to that kind of resource will have an almost insurmountable practical
advantage as competitive students.  This is already a huge problem for
researchers with poor access competing with researchers who have superb
access.  The Web has many wonderful sources of general technical
information, but publishers of journals and monographs have a stranglehold
on those kinds of resources and a low level battle to release that
stranglehold is ongoing.  Open access is a campaign entwined with the
future of libraries as well.

--
Steven E. Patamia, Ph.D., J.D.
Personal Cell: (352) 219-6592