non-community member library access

Susan Lee slee at UGF.EDU
Wed Aug 1 17:37:45 EDT 2012

I asked this question several years ago when an out of town alum complained that she didn't have remote access.  Most places didn't even have alum remote access, let alone unafilliated.

Of the databases that we subscribed to at the time, only ProQuest would grant alum access.  The fee was something like 15% of the database subscription price and the was available on a very limited set of databases.  When I told the Alumni Office the cost of access to that one database, I got told "Never Mind".

Sue
Susan M. Lee MLS
Information Services Librarian
University of Great Falls Library
1301 20th St South
Great Falls, MT 59405

406-791-5318
slee at ugf.edu<mailto:slee at ugf.edu>
http://www.ugf.edu/Library/tabid/77/Default.aspx

________________________________
From: Web technologies in libraries on behalf of Stew MacLehose
Sent: Wed 8/1/2012 9:34 AM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: [WEB4LIB] non-community member library access

Do any academic libraries allow non-community members to access electronic resources in ways other than as walk-ins?  I have been tasked with finding this out.  All of our license agreements specify that access is restricted to authorized users which are defined as current faculty, staff and students and (in some cases) walk-in users.  Has anyone negotiated access for users not covered in this definition?  We're pursuing alternative revenue streams and want to explore the possibility of allowing non-community members to purchase library access.

Thanks,
Stew

Stew MacLehose, MLIS, MSEd
Director of Digital Services