non-community member library access

Riesner, Giles W. GRIESNER at CCBCMD.EDU
Wed Aug 1 17:20:16 EDT 2012

We only allow remote access for Students and Staff (including retirees); no alumn, reciprocal borrowersi or non College personnel. ANYONE can use them when they are at one of our campuses or extension centers as we are
a public institution.

Giles W. Riesner, Jr.
Lead Library Technician, Library Technology
Community College of Baltimore County
Catonsville Campus Library
email: griesner at ccbcmd.edu <mailto:griesner at ccbcmd.edu>   phone: 1-443-840-2736

________________________________

From: Web technologies in libraries on behalf of Stew MacLehose
Sent: Wed 8/1/2012 9:34 AM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: [WEB4LIB] non-community member library access

Do any academic libraries allow non-community members to access electronic resources in ways other than as walk-ins?  I have been tasked with finding this out.  All of our license agreements specify that access is restricted to authorized users which are defined as current faculty, staff and students and (in some cases) walk-in users.  Has anyone negotiated access for users not covered in this definition?  We're pursuing alternative revenue streams and want to explore the possibility of allowing non-community members to purchase library access.

Thanks,
Stew

Stew MacLehose, MLIS, MSEd
Director of Digital Services