non-community member library access

Brian Harrington brian at JHU.EDU
Wed Aug 1 10:54:19 EDT 2012

 From the vendor side, Project MUSE defines the user community broadly
basically saying that if you consider someone a patron, and are willing
to manage their access, they can use MUSE:

> A subscription to a Project MUSE collection grants unlimited access
> to the full text of the Journal titles in that collection for
> educational, research, and personal use by the faculty, staff,
> students, alumni, library patrons, and other Authorized Users of the
> Subscriber' s campus/institutional network. Distance learners,
> alumni, and other off-campus affiliates may access Project MUSE if
> their internet access is through the campus network or via a secure
> proxy server.

I know a number of schools charge alumni a small fee and then provide
access to MUSE and other databases that allow alumni access either for
free or for an additional charge.  But I suspect that the business and
STM databases that outsiders would pay real money for are also the ones
with the most restrictive licenses.

I hope this helps,

Brian

--