non-community member library access

Tagliaferro, Jessica Jessica.Tagliaferro at SUNYWCC.EDU
Wed Aug 1 09:44:48 EDT 2012

SUNY - Westchester Community College does not provide remote access to anyone outside the campus community (current students, faculty, staff).

Selling access is an interesting concept, but I wonder if it would be counter to the vendor contracts.

Jessica Tagliaferro
Instructor, Electronic Resources Librarian
Harold L. Drimmer Learning Resource Center
Westchester Community College
75 Grasslands Road
Valhalla, NY 10595
phone: 914-606-6808
e-mail: jessica.tagliaferro at sunywcc.edu<mailto:jessica.tagliaferro at sunywcc.edu>

From: Web technologies in libraries [mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On Behalf Of Stew MacLehose
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2012 9:34 AM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: [WEB4LIB] non-community member library access

Do any academic libraries allow non-community members to access electronic resources in ways other than as walk-ins?  I have been tasked with finding this out.  All of our license agreements specify that access is restricted to authorized users which are defined as current faculty, staff and students and (in some cases) walk-in users.  Has anyone negotiated access for users not covered in this definition?  We're pursuing alternative revenue streams and want to explore the possibility of allowing non-community members to purchase library access.

Thanks,
Stew

Stew MacLehose, MLIS, MSEd
Director of Digital Services
Library Services
University of New England
716 Stevens Ave. Portland, ME 04103
T 207-221-4535<tel:207-221-4535> F 207-221-4893<tel:207-221-4893>
smaclehose at une.edu<mailto:smaclehose at une.edu>

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2012-08-01