Filter Versus Network blocks

Bracken, Karen KBRACKEN at RIVERSIDECA.GOV
Wed Apr 11 18:51:37 EDT 2012

Hi all,
We are a public library that gets our internet connection as part of the city's connection, just on a separate vlan.  We use a content filter for all traffic on this vlan including wireless users.  We primarily filter for security, streaming media and pornography.  We do encounter sites that are not blocked by the content filter, but that are blocked by the firewall/network.  I don't control the network, and don't have any input to their settings, but I do have to defend it when challenged.

We have noticed an increase of challenges lately, and are seeing more and more blocks due to network settings, not filter settings.  I have no problem defending the content filter settings, but I am looking for the proper wording when it is a network /firewall setting.  I also do not want this to turn into a nightmare where I am constantly checking filter settings, then going to IT with a request to open this port, unblock this, etc.  frankly we don't have the time.  If you have any policy/wording that would assist me in addressing this with our customer I'd appreciated it.

Thanks,
Karen

Karen Bracken
Digital System Spec.