Local Digital Textbooks Initiatives

McKiernan, Gerard [LIB] gerrymck at IASTATE.EDU
Sun Apr 1 09:35:12 EDT 2012

*** Apologiies for Receipt of Duplicate Postings ***

Colleagues/

I will be giving a library seminar titled "Digital Textbooks: A Perfect Storm For Higher Learning"  on April 17 2012  as par part of our spring library seminar series [ http://bit.ly/H58oSL ] >

_ Digital Textbooks: A Perfect Storm For Higher Learning_

While not currently widely adopted, an increasing number of colleges and universities are providing campus-wide access to digital textbooks or piloting their use for specific courses. This seminar will provide an overview of a number of major local, state, regional, and national initiatives by institutions of higher learning as well as by primary and secondary schools in the U.S. and elsewhere. It will also profile select e-textbook platforms and features and the associated costs and benefits of digital textbook use.

This seminar will be a revised and updated version of an in-house presentation that I gave to my library colleagues in late February 2012

[ http://bit.ly/xXucIG ].

In addition to the individual ISU initiatives of which I am aware, I am greatly interested in learning of other local projects for incorporation within my forthcoming library seminar presentation.

I am particularly interested in digital textbook initiatives that are currently being planned as well as those with active library involvement.

Thanks for your assistance !

Regards,

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan