[Web4lib] web strategy documents

Chris Evjy chris.evjy at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 18:55:55 EDT 2011

Hi all,

Last August I posted a request for concrete examples of library web
strategy documents. I got several very useful responses both on and
off-list and wanted to share the results that your responses seeded. Our
new Web Strategies have recently been vetted and are now our operating
principles [inline, below].

Thank you to Ryan Hess at DePaul. Your work provided the frame we ended up
running with. We also lifted some of your principles and expanded on them.

Nate, we'd still like to see San Jose's new interaction strategy if you've
drafted it.

Thanks to everyone who sent us your ideas.

-Chris

___________________________
Christopher Evjy
Web Manager
Jefferson County Public Library
Lakewood, CO

*Jefferson County Public Library Web Strategies
**
*Introduction

    This document is a statement of principles that inform:

   - the *content *JCPL publishes on jeffcolibrary.org
   - how the *design *of jeffcolibrary.org ensures the usability and
   accessibility of that content
   - what *experience *patrons have using jeffcolibrary.org

Content Strategy
*
Principle of Publishing*

   - Publish useful content.
   - Publish content that is aware of audience and context.
   - Publish content that supports the Library’s mission, strategic
   objectives and brand.
   - Create best practices to deliver effective service to our users.

*Principle of Collaboration*

   - Publish content through collaboration with JCPL stakeholders.
   - Support collaboration with a shared set of guidelines and
   communication norms.

*Principle of Venues*

   - Provide channels to distribute dynamic and reusable content.
   - Host venues that facilitate communication and connection.
   - Create sustainable venues.

*Principle of Selection*

   - Curate content according to users’ needs.
   - Use concise action-based language.
   - Make evidence-based decisions about what we say to users and how we
   say it.

*Principle of Expertise
*

   - Publish reliable content that instills confidence in library services.
   - Inform content with the expertise of staff who best know their content
   areas and their users.

Design Strategy

*Principle of Choices*

   - Keep the number of choices manageable for each page.
   - Global navigation reflects top user tasks.
   - Limit sub-menus to five items (including a “more…” link).

*Principle of Convention*

   - Follow users’ expectations in terms of placement, functionality and
   structure.

*Principle of Exemplars*

   - Use icons to make actionable items visually intuitive.
   - Use visual examples to communicate what content is.
   - Use contextual images that compliment, describe or encapsulate content
   they appear alongside.

*Principle of Emphasis*

   - Make the focus of pages clear.
   - Limit the number of focal points per page.
   - Apply a consistent approach to textual emphasis.

*Principle of Front Doors*

   - Make every page, in part, a landing page.
   - Provide a unified global navigation.

*Principle of Simplicity*

   - Minimize distractions to performing user tasks.
   - Present information clearly.
   - Use white space to enhance usability.
   - Remove barriers and extra steps.

User Experience Statement

A user finishes using our website, walks away from the computer and
reflects:

   - I got that done and it was pretty easy.
   - I feel confident about what I accomplished.
   - I can do that again when I need to because it just made sense.
   - I can connect with librarians and get help when I need it.
   - I found out something new about the library.
   - I will use this site again to do new things.