[Web4lib] Moving Content between Web Site Servers

Leo Robert Klein leo at leoklein.com
Tue May 3 15:31:56 EDT 2011

On 5/3/2011 2:19 PM, David Whelan wrote:
> Thanks, Leo.  There is workflow, and it's used for content approval on the
> staging server.  We are not able to do content updates on the production
> server, so we wouldn't be able to use workflow there as you describe.

Shucks!

> Although I guess that begs a question.  If you have a CMS and workflow
> options, are there good reasons to use both staging and production servers
> just for content, or is running just a production instance enough?  Our site
> is relatively small (10-15000 pieces of content, mostly archival) and we
> have a development instance for testing, etc.

You naturally need backups and it's nice to have a Dev server when
applying those patches but that's about as far as I'd go running two
servers.  If the workflow is good enough, having both a staging and
production server seems like overkill -- especially if it's becoming a
pain in the butt.

Of course, that's just how I'm used to running stuff (Drupal).  Other
people with different content needs might think differently.

LEO

www.leoklein.com (site)
www.ChicagoLibrarian.com (blog)

aim/msn/yhoo/goog: 'leorobertklein'