[Web4lib] Dedicated OPAC stations

Cindy Murdock Ames cmurdock at ccfls.org
Tue Jun 28 15:27:02 EDT 2011

I use Linux for this, using squid to limit web access to our catalog,
with the Blackbox desktop environment and Firefox.  Near the bottom of
the page below in the OPAC are my notes on how I set up the desktop
environment--the only application available is Firefox, and if it's
closed it restarts.

http://meadvillelibrary.org/os/doku.php?id=customizing_ubuntu_lucid_for_public_computing

For libraries with just one OPAC, I install squid on the OPAC itself,
listening transparently so that all traffic on the OPAC is forced
through it.  For libraries that have several, I have a separate squid
server on the network just for the OPACs.

Cheers,
Cindy

Cindy Murdock Ames
IT Services Director