[Web4lib] Filter Bubbles and Libraries' Public Computers?

Dan Ream dream at vcu.edu
Mon Jun 27 09:20:25 EDT 2011

I attempted to post this on June 13th, but it apparently never went
out--trying again.

Web4Libers-

I've been reading and viewing with interest about Eli Pariser's book,
"The Filter Bubble: What the Internet Is Hiding from You" and highly
recommend
his 9-minute TED talk summary about it at

http://www.ted.com/talks/eli_pariser_beware_online_filter_bubbles.html
(also on YouTube).

I don't recall this being discussed here before on Web4Lib, but if it
has already,
please point me to that discussion.

My questions concern how do the personalized search features that
Google uses
effect the shared public computers in our libraries. Beyond personal
search
history, Pariser estimates that Google uses 57 criteria to shape your
results.
Google hasn't publicly shared what those 57 are, but here's one search
expert's guess..

http://www.rene-pickhardt.de/google-uses-57-signals-to-filter/

These are thought to include browser type, computer type, and many
other factors
that would seem chaotic, but influential to search results on a shared
public computer
in a library or campus computer lab.

Beyond the obvious difficulty this presents for teaching librarians to
explain how
Google results are found, I'm wondering what steps a library can take
to reduce
the personalization functions of Google so that your next Googler's
search results
aren't overly influenced by the twenty others who last sat at that
same library workstation.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Dan Ream
Director, Outreach and Distance Education
Virginia Commonwealth University Libraries
Richmond, Virginia , USA