[Web4lib] decentralized web content

Hess, M. Ryan MHESS8 at depaul.edu
Tue Jan 11 13:27:06 EST 2011

At DePaul's libraries, I'm also in the middle of outlining our CM plan. We're moving our site to SharePoint this year from (gasp) Collage so I'm seeing this as a big opportunity to make some changes. Currently, we have distributed editorial permissions for a number of librarians, but the unreliability of Collage is a big disincentive for librarians to make the effort, so few changes are made outside my team.

After we move to SharePoint, of course, it will be much easier and much more intuitive to make changes, and I'm excited about how this will empower our content curators, as I'm calling them here. My plan is to train/remind these curators of web conventions/usability issues and then let them make changes to their areas of the site as needed. From time to time, our new Web Applications Librarian and I will be reviewing the site and advising these curators of any issues we find. My hope is that this distributed model has the right balance of freedom and control to keep our librarians engaged in the site while also ensuring the site's usability.

M Ryan Hess
Web Services Coordinator
DePaul University