[Web4lib] decentralized web content

Cary Gordon listuser at chillco.com
Tue Jan 11 00:07:01 EST 2011

Many libraries use content management systems and open source systems
such as Drupal are very popular and have a great deal of support.
Drupal has a library specific mailing list, a support group on the
Drupal groups site, several other free support resources, as well as
several companies, like mine, that provide a range of support and
services.

Unfortunately, experience has shown that in most cases the number of
stations in the workflow is usually inversely proportionate to the
amount of staff contributed material across time on a website. Some
organizations have done away with workflow and decentralized to the
degree that they use wiki type systems for most of their content. A
good compromise, where acceptable, is to let staff publish content and
flag it for review. Most of the top open source content management
systems have flexible workflow options.

Thanks,

Cary

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 4:24 PM, Angela Christofferson
<Angela.Christofferson at spl.org> wrote:
> Our library is in the process of decentralizing our web content for our public website.  Our goal is for employees throughout the Library to enter content into a content management system.
>
> Does your library use a content management system and have a decentralized web content model?  If so, could you share your experiences and workflow?  For example, what roles (Author, Approver, Editor) have you created?  How does content move through the process?  How do you maintain standards, consistency, oversight, etc.?  Can employees post directly to your website?
>
> Thanks in advance for sharing.
>
> Angela Christofferson
> The Seattle Public Library
> Information Technology